Tuesday, September 6, 2011

New City - Food Edition

The cats are finally starting to settle into the new apartment. I got them one of the cardboard scratch pads on a recent trip to Target and loaded it up with the catnip that comes with it, which I think helped them to relax. Their scratching post/jungle gym is set up in front of one of the big livingroom windows, and so far they love people-watching.

I'm feeling about the same as the cats: give me some good food and a stroll through a neighborhood antique store and I'm happy as a clam. As soon as something comes along to upset me, though, and I'm edgy and anxious again. However, things are going pretty well overall and I'm getting used to the new apartment quickly. My favorite thing about Chicago so far: the food!

St. Andrew's Inn is on Broadway (the main drag nearest to my place) around the corner and they're probably going to end up being our main hang-out location. They have over a hundred beers available and provide boardgames for customers to use. Kraig and his parents and I went there for dinner after the driving and unloading, and the food is excellent. Probably not a particularly varied selection for my vegetarian friends, but they accommodated Kraig's mom's gluten allergy very well.

For my vegetarian friends: there's a rice and noodle restaurant a bit farther away (by the Granville stop, one north from us), though still in walking distance, that Kraig and I stumbled upon this evening that was also fabulous. Most of the dishes have a choice of chicken, tofu, or other meats (or none at all), and I'm happy to report that their portions are large enough for two meals and that they do indeed know how to cook their vegetables. There is also another vegan (I think, or possibly just vegetarian) restaurant on Broadway close by, but I haven't been there yet.

For those who want burgers: Moody's pub has a limited but very tasty menu and seriously atmospheric lighting. I haven't quite decided what their hook is, but I think they generate a loyal following. The dining area is so dark that it takes a few minutes of letting your eyes adjust to be able to read the menu and it's decorated in a slightly goth, old-school Irish pub sort of way. Moody's also has the benefit of being the closest to our apartment. It's tied with St. Andrew's for actual walking distance, but we can see their patio across the alley from our porch.

We have a Dominick's (local grocery chain) across the street on Broadway, and there's a weekend farmers market down the street that runs every Saturday morning though the end of October.There's a lovely Mexican restaurant that we've been to a few times now by the Bryn Mawr stop (one south from us) that is also extremely good for gluten free food. When we ate there with Kraig's parents, the manager told us about how her husband has a nut allergy and that she always provides customers with photographs of the gluten free labels on their products.

Other local restaurants we need to check out: two different, and supposedly very good, Ethiopian restaurants; a sushi and Thai place on Broadway; a bubble-tea and pastry shop near our L stop that's been closed since we first came to the neighborhood. It looks like they didn't know to get the appropriate permits when they opened up and now are closed pending such-and-such approval. There are tons of Indian, Greek and Middle Eastern restaurants around, along with the usual American pizza and sandwich shops.

Wrapping up back with the kitties: there's a dog and cat grooming shop whose primary services I have no intention of using, but it looks like they might carry the kind of dry food I usually feed my cats (a zero-grain, weight management food by Innova).

I've heard that Chicago is a very good food city, and so far I have to agree. The worst food that we've had here has simply been mediocre, and would probably be acceptable if not for all of the other amazing food around. I'm looking forward to doing more research on the subject!

1 comment:

  1. Has anyone ever told you that you spend too much time wirh vegetarians? After all... you're looking at restaurants from a vegie point of view...

    :-) Love you! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete