Sunday, September 25, 2011

More making new friends

I think that I'm successfully starting to make friends.

Last Sunday, I went shoe shopping with a fellow yogini, Kisa, and ended up getting two pairs of boots and a really adorable pair of grown-up shoes!





Best of all though, I made some new friends. I've been walking partway home with Kisa, who goes to the same yoga studio as me, and Saturday morning I mentioned that I was planning on going to Alamo and would she like to go with me. She said yes, she actually needed some new shoes, but that she had to go into work that day. I said that I didn't really need to go immediately, and how was tomorrow, and she said that would be fun!

Tangential question for my friends who can actually write: is there a good way of editing the above paragraph so that it's less "he said, she said," and more engaging?

After spending way too much on shoes (not even going to tell you how much, exactly) we went to a coffee/tea shop next door and chatted over chai. Kisa's friend, Nicole (I think, I'm an awful person but I don't remember), joined us and we chatted some more and got slices of pie.

It was lovely. The shop smelled like Four Seasons in Saratoga Springs, which was one of my favorite places to go have lunch and hang out with people during college. Both of them are theater people of one form or another, so we chatted about that and teaching and other stuff.

Then last night, I went to "Too Much Light Makes The Baby Go Blind,"  the signature performance piece of the Neo-futurists, a theater group in Andersonville. It was hilarious. I met up beforehand at the Hopleaf, a really awesome bar with amazing beers on tap (seems to be a theme around here), frites, and apparently mussels (which I'm going to have to try at a later date) with two other new faculty members with the Northwestern math department: Simon and Anne Marie.

We had a lot of fun being generally geeky and progressively more tipsy off of various Belgian beers. My first beer came in what looked like a small yard glass (a round bulb on the bottom with a narrow middle and flared top) that rested in a separate wood holder. I also got a raspberry flavored beer, which was actually less sweet and more sour, ie it tasted like real raspberries rather than raspberry flavoring. Very excellent. We also got frites and aoli, which were scrumptious.

We walked from there over to join the queue in front of TMLMTBGB. They don't allow reservations, and basically the first 150 people who get there get tokens to redeem for entry. My token was a little plastic police officer. The cost for the performance is $9 plus the roll of a 6-sided die, though they had a 5-sided die (WTF I've never seen one of those before!) for people who had checked in on FB. The inside waiting area is covered with material (a timeline containing historical trivia, pages from the play, pictures of old-time actors) for their current main production, which is based on (not sure how) The Ladder, which is apparently the longest running flop on Broadway (sorry theater friends, I don't know my theater facts).

During the show, they try to perform 30 short plays in 60 minutes in a random order shouted out by the audience. They write the plays/skits themselves and change a random number of them each week, so that the show is really never the same. They didn't finish this time: #'s 25 and 26 didn't get started, and I think it was #8 that they had just started when the buzzer went off. Super high energy and ADD: the perfect middle to a Saturday night should one want to continue into the early morning. We didn't, but it was a good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment