Sunday, August 14, 2011

Quick Post from Today

I have a very upbeat post in the works, but this is a quickie so I'll put it up first. I met my first crackhead today!

Kraig and I were approached on a subway platform by a very persistent crackhead today. At the time it was frightening, annoying, and infuriating, chronologically in that order. At first, I thought we were going to get mugged, then it was just the usual irritating begging for cash, and then he wouldn't go away! I think the thing that upset me most was the invasion of my personal space and the feeling that not only was I in no control of the interaction, but that it could potentially get nasty.

Well, it didn't get nasty. The train arrived, we scuttled onto a different car from where he boarded, and that was the end of it.

The funny thing about the conversation though was that even he, in his drugged out state, was surprised when I said that I did mathematics. Note to the mathematics community: when even crackheads think only antisocial dorks do math, it's time for a PR campaign!

PS- Thank you Dave Chapell for portraying crackheads with such accuracy.


No comments:

Post a Comment